Thursday, May 27, 2010

Day 3: Cricket Retail Sales Representative

I find it funny that I can go weeks without a single human soul calling me on my cell phone, but the minute I start applying for jobs, everyone and their mother is calling me. This leaves me answering the phone excitedly every time a number comes up that isn't in my contact list. So, lets see who called me today that WASN'T a job and how many times I kicked my poor, e-collared dog in a rush to get to the phone:

Hayes from the 24-Hour Fitness : Kicked Sandy in the flank accidentally.
Jennifer from Veda Salon : Stepped on Sandy's tail whilst getting up from the couch hurriedly.
Some telemarketer from Humana : At this point I only managed to nick the side of the e-collar with my calf as Sandy has started to correlate the phone ringing with pain and is learning to get out of my way.

So, if anyone from Manpower or Cricket is reading this, please hire me; if not for me, for the sake of my dog.

Moving on, I applied for a job at Cricket Wireless today (which is like the bologna of cell phone service providers, whereas AT&T is the New York Strip). I started out applying to this job as an inner joke to myself. I thought, "Heck, I have to get a job here. I mean, come on. It is CRICKET WIRELESS. With my experience, this job should be the 8-ball in the corner pocket."
Twenty four hours later, I am struggling to find the humor that, earlier, was so evident in my actions. These people actually might not contact me for an interview. I was so sure that I was more than qualified for this job that the thought of them NOT calling never crossed my mind.

So, in an effort to make myself feel better, I reviewed the qualifications:

Required Qualifications:

· High school diploma or GED -- Check. Got that back in 2000

· 1 yr. retail experience, preferably in electronic or department store retail sales and/or customer service -- Yep, got that too. Actually, I have more than a year experience and it is directly related to cell phone sales, so that should put me ahead of the competition, right??

· Strong written, verbal persuasion (soft sales) and interpersonal skills -- I could sell a cross to a Satan worshiper. I guess I do have a little interpersonal problems though as I am a little bit too aggressive for most people's tastes.

· Proficient use of PC computer programs and keyboard skills. -- Ha ha ha. I am a Web Design and Interactive Media student. If I am not proficient at computers, I am in the wrong field.

· Proficient cash handling skills, including cash drawer reconciliation. -- Yep, have lots of experience with that too.

Preferred Qualifications:

· 1+ years of experience selling wireless handsets, handset trouble shooting and light repairs. -- Ok, there it is. I am completely qualified for this job.

· 1+ years of sales experience in a quota driven environment. -- Yep, I have that too.

· Proficient use of Point of Sale software. -- I could write a Point of Sale software program if I wanted to.

· Bilingual speaking and writing skills in Spanish -- Well, g-dammit. This is the one thing I can't do. I think the only Spanish I know is "cabron", "no toques" and "no me gusta". None of which I could see being applicable in a cell phone situation.

· 2 years or more of college education -- I am a career college student. 2 years is chump change to me.

So, having looked at the qualifications and compared it to my resume, wouldn't you consider this to be an easy shot? Yeah, that is what I thought.

To sum up, Day 3 has been uneventful. No word from Manpower or Cricket. Here's hoping for Day 4....

No comments:

Post a Comment